Darjeeling Margaret’s Hope: one of the most celebrated tea gardens.
The greeny brown leaf of Darjeeling Margaret’s Hope produces a light, floral tea with the distinctive muscatel taste of a really good Darjeeling. Margaret’s Hope tea is probably the most famous of Darjeeling’s gardens. The garden was established in 1865 by Mr Cruikshank beside the Balsun river. It rises to an altitude of up to 5000 ft. near to Kurseong. Tragically his daughter Margaret died on the long voyage home to England and he re-named the garden in the hope that he would be forever reminded of her. The Margaret’s Hope garden takes seriously its welfare responsibilities to its staff and has improved housing, water supply and medical facilities. Infuse one teaspoon per cup of this celebrated tea with freshly boiled water for four minutes.
- Excellent Darjeeling “Fragrant complex Darjeeling at a modest price. Has bags of Darjeeling character.”
- “This was our first foray into ‘good’ teas and it hasn’t disappointed. This darjeeling was so different to our usual reasonable quality shop bought loose leaf darjeeling; not bitter if left too long, clear taste of flavour, wonderfully refreshing. A really good tea!”
- Great tea “Darjeeling is probably the best of teas with a balance of freshness and depth and this tea does not disappoint. I have certainly not tasted better at this price range.”
- “An exquisite tea. I had never had such a good Darjeeling before, though I’ve sampled many. This is the tea that made understand that a whole world of better teas was waiting out there, unbeknown to me.”
- We enjoy this tea in the afternoon. “We like darjeeling tea but have previously only bought it in the supermarket. There is a world of difference here. Lovely delicate flavour.”
- Subtle, delicate and elegant “It took a while to get used to this tea: I normally drink robust Assams and initially found this tea a little bland. But after judicious calibration [i.e. more leaves than normal in the pot] and letting it stand a full 5 minutes, its charm and subtlty emerged. Excellent with cucumber sandwiches.”
- Smooth “Very gentle subtle taste. A great buy.”
The benefits of loose leaf tea
- Darjeeling Margaret’s Hope is a carefully sourced tea chosen for its distinctive, balanced flavour.
- Loose leaf tea enables the full flavour characteristics of the tea to infuse.
- The tea is chosen for its high grade which imparts the flavour and aroma characteristics for which this tea is best known.
- A little patience is required when infusing large leaf grades but you will be rewarded with a superior, more balanced cup.
Which size to choose
- There are several packing options: 60grams, 125grams and 250grams – the standard being of 125 grams in a packet.
- You can select packets or a tin caddy with hinged lid which can be selected from the drop-down options.
- Our silver-coloured packets are a triple laminate of paper, foil and cellophane, specifically designed for tea.
How to look after this tea
- Store the tea with care: ensure it is stored air-tight, away from heat, light, moisture and strong aromas.
- Our standard best-before is one year.
- Our standard shipping is second class post unless you choose an alternative option.
- Free UK shipping is available for orders over £30 and free first class post can be chosen for orders over £50.
- At the checkout you may choose to receive a free, full-colour, eight-page guide to our tea.
For more information about buying our loose leaf teas see our page How to Buy the Best Loose Leaf Tea.