Russian Caravan tea: a traditionally aromatic blend
This historic Russian Caravan tea is made from a traditional blend of large leaf Chinese black and oolong teas. It has a distinctive and attractive complexity. This tea was originally traded in the 18th century during the reign of Catherine the Great, carried by camel caravan via the Russian steppes, along the Silk Road to Moscow. This traditional blended tea may be drunk morning or afternoon. Infuse one teaspoon per person plus one for the pot for four minutes. Milk is optional.
First drunk by the Cossacks, since the 17th century tea has been brought to the fair at Nizhny Novgorod, on the Volga river 200 miles to the east of Moscow. This was Imperial Russia’s focus for traded luxuries. Prepared in the samovar around an invitingly warm hearth, Alexander Pushkin declared that “ecstasy is a glass of tea and a piece of sugar in the mouth”.
The benefits of loose leaf tea
- This is a carefully sourced tea chosen for its distinctive, balanced flavour.
- Loose leaf tea enables the full flavour characteristics of the tea to infuse.
- The tea is chosen for its high grade which imparts the flavour and aroma characteristics for which this tea is best known.
- A little patience is required when infusing large leaf grades but you will be rewarded with a superior, more balanced cup.
Which size to choose
- There are several packing options: 60grams, 125grams and 250grams – the standard being of 125 grams in a packet.
- You can select packets or a tin caddy with hinged lid which can be selected from the drop-down options.
- Our silver-coloured packets are a triple laminate of paper, foil and cellophane, specifically designed for tea.
How to look after this tea
- Store the tea with care: ensure it is stored air-tight, away from heat, light, moisture and strong aromas.
- Our standard best-before is one year.
- Our standard shipping is second class post unless you choose an alternative option.
- Free UK shipping is available for orders over £30 and free first class post can be chosen for orders over £50.
- At the checkout you may choose to receive a free, full-colour, eight-page guide to our tea.
For more information about buying our loose leaf teas see our page How to Buy the Best Loose Leaf Tea.